North Wales chimney sweep services based in Abergele
CHIMNEY SAFETY ADVICE
Suitable access must be provided for the cleaning and inspection of flues or chimneys to comply with the current building regulations Approved Document J.
The correct flue terminations are essential to ensure that your heating appliance is able to work properly and safely. All appliances need to be able to breathe in and out.
Carbon Monoxide Safety
The dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning are very real and need to be taken seriously. Fortunately taking simple steps will give you peace of mind about enjoying effective home heating, using wood and other solid fuels
There is a great lack of public awareness about carbon monoxide and the use of woodburning stoves, open fires and solid fuel boilers and cookers. Many people think that carbon monoxide only comes from gas appliances but the truth is that any fuel that burns, creates carbon monoxide.
We all know that fire can be dangerous but you are statistically more likely to suffer injury from CO poisoning than from a chimney fire. There are between 15 and 25 deaths per year from CO poisoning due to unsafe burning of wood and other solid fuels. There are hundreds of non-fatal poisoning incidents as well. Exact numbers are unclear due to a lack of proper reporting. Some people will be chronically poisoned and never know the cause.
How does CO Poisoning happen?
Carbon monoxide gas is produced when burning any fuel. Poisoning occurs if you breathe it. You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide so unless you have a working alarm, you may be unaware of any problem. It can kill quickly and without warning. The symptoms of low level CO poisoning are often mistaken for flu or generally feeling run down. They include headache, fatigue, dizziness, feeling or being sick.
Burning any solid fuel produces CO along with the other combustion gasses. These normally pass harmlessly out the top of the chimney. If however the chimney is blocked or leaky, if the fire/appliance is faulty or if the ventilation to the fire is inadequate – CO gas may enter your property. This can happen in a different room from the location of the fire.
Remember, in the UK there is no requirement for someone calling themselves a chimney sweep to have undertaken any training or registration with a proper trade association. You expect your gas engineer to be trained and registered and it is equally important that your chimney sweep is too.
How to Stay Safer
Ensure your chimney is swept regularly by a National Association of chimney sweeps member and follow any safety advice.
Have Carbon Monoxide alarms fitted and correctly located (many alarms are fitted in the wrong place). Many Guild sweeps can provide you with an alarm.
Don’t ignore an alarm, even if you are not using your fire or boiler. Phone the number on the back of the alarm or the emergency services.
Ensure that the fire has adequate ventilation. Don’t block air vents. Guild sweeps are trained to check ventilation on every job and advise you accordingly.
Always use registered installers for fitting woodburners, fires etc.